NEW DELHI: It seems as a challenge to Modi’s Digital India as the Ministry of Home Affairs site has become the latest victim of cyber crime.
Reports of the MHA web portal getting hacked emerged on Sunday morning. As soon as the hacking was detected, the MHA website was immediately blocked by the National Informatics Centre. Computer emergency response teams are looking into the incident, an official said.
At the time of publishing this report, the website could still not be accessed. Viewers are greeted with the standard “This site can’t be reached” message on Chrome browsers.
The Ministry of Home Affairs website has been blocked after it was hacked by unidentified person(s) or group.
In January, suspected Pakistan-affiliated operatives had hacked the official website of the elite National Security Guard (NSG) and defaced it with a profanity-laden message against the Prime Minister and anti-India content.
Last week, the Home Ministry had said in a written report to the Lok Sabha that more than 700 websites of various central and state government departments were hacked in the past four years and a total of 8,348 persons were arrested for their involvement in cyber crimes.