Kashmir: Fresh clashes killed five, death toll reaches 65

SRINAGAR: Five civilians were killed when Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and army fired on protestors in two separate incidents in south and Central Kashmir on Tuesday taking the toll of people killed to 65.

Four civilians were killed by Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel when they opened fire on protestors at Aripanthan village in Central Kashmir’s Beerwah village.

On Tuesday morning, CRPF personnel opened indiscriminate fire when protestors threw stones at their convoy in Aripanthan village of Beerwah. The CRPF personnel were on way for deployment in the area.

Four civilian protestors have been killed and four injured. Eyewitnesses say one of the injured civilians is critical. The injured have been rushed to hospital. The officials, however, had confirmed only three deaths so far.

“We have information about three killings so far,” Superintendent of Budgam, Abdul Waheed told media saying he is on way to the place of incident. The Deputy Commissioner Budgam, Altaf Ahmad, however, confirmed only two killings. “Two have been killed,” he said. “Two to three are critical”.

Beerwah is the home constituency of former chief minister and leader of opposition Omar Abdullah. With the fresh four killings of Tuesday morning, the toll of people killed, in the clashes following the death of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani on July 9, has risen to 64.

In another incident, Army opened fire on people at Larkipora village of Dooru in Anantnag district killing a teenager and wounding more than 10. Villagers say that the army firing was unprovoked.

Eyewitnesses say that Army on Tuesday morning first barged into Dialgam village and beat the residents and then went to Larkipora village where they picked up two youth. “As the people came out seeking release of the youth, army opened fire,” a villager told.

More than 10 people were wounded in army firing and one of them Aamir Yousuf was declared brought dead at District Hospital Anantnag. “Yes, there is one death,” said an official at the hospital.

Police said curfew and restrictions will continue in all the 10 district headquarters of the Valley on the 39th consecutive day. Separatists have already extended their protest shutdown to August 18. All educational institutions, shops, public transport and other businesses have remained shut since July 9.